Monday, June 28, 2010

Hammarberg Area



We spent the weekend in Hammarberg territory and it was beautiful! Here are a few of the many pictures that we have taken. This is iron country and very mountainous. The houses in this area are typically two stories high and seem bigger than the southern part.

This is where the Hammarberg name began and traces back to the late 1600's. Johan Parsson had eight sons and they all took the name of Hammarberg. "Hammar" meaning hammer and "berg" meaning mountain. It would make sense that with iron working, there would be blacksmithing or the use of the hammer. At the kyrka (church) in Logdo Bruk we found indications of iron working. I have included some pictures of the grave markers that are wrought iron (Mark, I know that it isn't technically wrought iron but I am not sure how else to refer to it.) It was so artistic and beautiful. I had never seen anything like it.



I know it seems odd that I would include pictures of a cemetery.....but hey, we did spend some time going to them and looking for ancestors. At Timra, where Carl Eric Hammerberg was born, we saw more unique grave markers......the area in front of the headstone was sand and each one had a pattern raked into the sand. Very artistic.....and in this region, there is a lot of sand.
See that car in the background....the one behind Kris....well the calculations are in and that car got an unbelievable 67 mpg. I know you won't believe it, but it is true. It is diesel, manual, ISG (idle stop and go) and Kris said it was a dream to drive. Kia Ce'ed Eco. I wonder if they sell it in the states.
Check out this trio of beautiful Hammarberg horses.
We wanted to share with you a little of the roadside lupine....but I suggest that you turn the sound off because all you can hear is my jacket whipping in the wind. LOL

3 comments:

  1. Norma,

    Noticed you didn't have any luck at the Döderhult parish church in regards to Ernst. He was born in Döderhult parish, you can be sure of that. I've sent an email with an attached copy of the page from the Döderhult birth and baptism book to your email address. Don't know if you have access to it though. Perhaps at an internet cafe.

    His parents were living in Påskallavik, about 10-15 miles to the south according to the birth record. Påskallavik had/has it's own church but is within Döderhult parish.

    The photos of Lögdö Bruk bring back fond memories of my trip in 1998. My dad just retired in May. Now he has no excuses not to take a trip to Sweden. I've been bugging him for about the last 3 years. Maybe next summer!

    Best Wishes,

    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful! that lupine is AHHH-mazing!! love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you ladies for an all too short visit to the Hammarberg area. Grandpa Carl helped me write a Swedish story in 4th grade and used the Hammarberg name for it. That was only a thousand years or so ago! Karl

    ReplyDelete