Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Tuesday, June 22




On this day we went to the Zorn museum and to the Nusnas where dala horses were born. I am not going to write much here because I am behind on blogging but I did want to share a picture of one of Zorn's paintings to give you an idea of what an incredible artist he was. You may want to google him and see his other works.
We didn't stay long in Nusnas but had a chance to walk around in the little factory. It always impresses us that the Swedes unlike the U.S. put the onus on the public to keep themselves "safe." There aren't a lot of "keep out" signs and rules. One is on their own to wander around without restrictions. There is the occasional barrier but there aren't many.
Allmanstratten, or Every Man's Right is a unique right to public access in Sweden. I guess it dates back to the middle ages and it allows everyone the possibility to visit somebody else's land, to take a bath in and to travel by boat on somebody else's waters, and to pick the wild flowers, mushrooms, and berries provided that you leave the property unharmed. While taking a stroll Tuesday evening, and practicing allmanstratten, I saw this gorgeous sunset. I call it a sunset but the sun never did set. It was midnight and the longest day of the year.



3 comments:

  1. Is this a pix you took of the sunset? looks liket a painting! awesome! I hope you remembered to buy me a horse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a new rower, I find myself with a further appreciation for Zorn's painting.

    It was midnight when you took that picture?! Not only is it gorgeous, but that is incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just want to get in a boat and row into the sunset! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete